Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Strongest Girl I've Ever Known


My student Julianna is a miracle.  She's 11 and has already gone through surgery twice to remove a brain tumor.  I went to teach her piano today and she was in a great mood.  That's the thing, you can't bring this girl down.  She's always so excited about playing music and she does have a natural ability to hear notes, play piano, and sing.  Today she told me about her chemotherapy sessions.  I had no idea she had to do them 5 days a week.  She also said she's starting to go deaf in one ear because of it.  I had to hold back my emotions when she told me that.  I then joked with her and told her that I've gone a bit deaf in both ears from playing rock music for so long.  She laughed.  She always laughs at the things I say.  I told her that she's truly an inspiration to me and that whenever something bad happens to me in life I just think about what she's had to endure.  Perspective is the key I guess.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say...I needed to read this story tonight, Mike. Thank you for sharing this. We have a fab job and fab students, don't we?